February 17, 2021 to February 18, 2021
8:30 am to 4:00 pm
Alberta Construction Safety Association
225 Parsons Road SW
Edmonton – REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
Date: February 17-18, 2021
Time: 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (Breakfast starts at 8:00 am)
Alberta Construction Safety Association
225 Parsons Road SW
Cost: $1,500 per participant
Meals: Cold breakfast, and hot lunch are provided for both days
CMHA’s certified Psychological Health and Safety Advisor Training program will help individuals who are working to improve psychological health and safety in workplaces or implement the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace (the Standard).
Employers will see those with this certification as having the practical expertise to help improve psychological health and safety or implement the Standard in their workplaces.
After your training you should be able to:
- State and demonstrate your ability to adhere to the overarching principles of a CMHA Certified PH&S Advisor.
- Assess readiness for change.
- Prepare employers to proceed with a psychological health and safety assessment.
- Apply tools to assess and analyze psychological health and safety.
- Give and accept feedback in a constructive way.
- Present to employers – the business case, assessment processes, and implementation plan.
The certification training has been developed to provide an experiential learning opportunity for Advisors so they can better support organizations of all sizes. Advisors are provided with hands-on experience of the key questions, challenges and opportunities of organizations striving to implement psychological health and safety within their workplaces.
It is focused on developing competency for:
- Presenting the business case – This focuses on convincing senior leaders and other key workplace stakeholders of the value and necessity for working toward improved psychological health and safety of their workplaces or implementation of the Standard.
- Preparing for the assessment process – Helping employers be comfortable with and understand the scope, process and necessity of collecting data. This is required before establishing effective baseline measurements. Managing expectations and being clear about issues such as confidentiality and process are key.
- Making recommendations – Analyzing the assessments and recommending an action plan must be done with knowledge of the organization’s constraints, competing demands and current realities. To be successful in sustaining implementation, the plan must be manageable and valuable in terms of outcomes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should take this training?
This training is geared towards a variety of individuals who are tasked with addressing psychological health and safety in the workplace. For example, individuals who work in Human Resources, Occupational Health Safety, Health and Wellness, Health and Safety, Disability Management or are external workplace consultants are encouraged to register.
Are there any pre-requisites for this training?
There are no pre-requisites for this training. However, it is important for participants to have good knowledge of the National Standard on Psychological Health and Safety.
Is there any pre-work for the training?
Yes, there will be 1-2 hours of pre-work before the training. Participants will receive an email at least 1 month prior to the training that will contain pre-work readings and a quiz. Each participant must pass the quiz with a minimum score of 80% prior to the course in order to participate.
How is the training structured over the two days?
Using a case study, each participant will be assigned to a group that will create a presentation for each of the three modules- Presenting the Business Case, Preparing for the Assessment Process and Making Recommendations.
Participants will be scored on their proven ability to adhere to the CMHA Certified PH&S Advisor Principles as well as the specific Objectives for each module.
Is there a final exam at the end of the training?
No, there is not a final exam at the end of the training.
Do I have to attend the full two day course?
In order to receive certification, and to fully benefit from the training, all participants must complete the two day consecutive training program in order to receive their certification.
How will the Advisors stay connected to the Collaborative after the training?
Advisors will be part of an exclusive CMHA Certified PH&S Advisor Community of Practice. Through the Collaborative, Advisors will receive new information about CMHA workplace initiatives including events and tools and resources. They will also be informed by the Collaborative of other workplace initiatives from our supporting partners.
Canadian Mental Health Association, Alberta Division
320 Ledgeview Business Centre
9707 – 110 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5K 2L9
Training Cancellation Policy
CMHA Alberta Division reserves the right to cancel or postpone trainings due to under-enrollment, instructor illness or inclement weather. If a training is cancelled, you may transfer to another workshop or receive a full refund. Refunds will only be provided in the event a workshop has been cancelled by CMHA Alberta Division.
If your plans change after you have registered you may:
- Designate a substitute to attend in your place, at no extra cost. Please notify us of the name of the person attending as soon as possible prior to the training date for which you registered. This will allow us to correct our records and minimize confusion at check-in.
- a. A minimum of 14 business days’ notice is required for our Certified Psychological Health and Safety Advisor training as time is needed for the substitute to complete pre-course work.
- Transfer to another CMHA Alberta Division training session, provided that you notify us by fax or email at least 14 business days prior to the training date for which you have registered. A $100 administration fee will apply and is payable at the time of the transfer request. We will not consider requests to transfer less than 14 business days prior to a
training date. If you fail to attend your scheduled training session without required notification, as outlined above, your fee will be forfeited.