The Government of Alberta has a range of supports available for Albertans who need help during the Christmas season. The Government of Alberta has a range of supports available for Albertans who need help during the Christmas season.
Families experience more stress during the holiday season for a variety of reasons – financial strain, time spent with family members who may be abusive or even just the pressure to be happy during a time of personal vulnerability.
Government-hosted phone lines offer support to Albertans who may be experiencing difficulties.
- The Family Violence Info Line provides a chat option between noon and 8 p.m. Phone support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in more than 170 languages at 310-1818.
- The Bullying Help Line provides a chat option between noon and 8 p.m. Phone support is available 24/7 in more than 170 languages at 1-888-456-2323.
- A Kinship Care Inquiry Phone Line was recently established to provide information, help and support in a variety of languages at 1-844-644-1329. Kinship care places children who can’t be with their biological parents with family or close friends to help the child remain connected to their culture and support systems.
- The Child Abuse Hotline has added a translation service so help is available in more than 200 languages at 1-800-387-5437.
- The Income Support Contact Centre will remain available over the holidays for emergency basic needs assistance at 1-866-644-5135.
The Mental Health Help Line at 1-877-303-2642 will also be available to offer help for mental health concerns for Albertans.