Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
Attending this two-day course will train you to intervene with an individual who is suicidal.
Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is an intensive, interactive, and practice-dominated course designed to help caregivers recognize and review risk, and intervene to prevent the immediate risk of suicide. It is by far the most widely used, acclaimed and researched suicide intervention training workshop in the world.
- Recognize that caregivers and persons at risk are affected by personal and societal attitudes about suicide
- Discuss suicide with a person at risk in a direct manner
- Identify risk alerts and develop a safe plan related to them
- Demonstrate the skills required to intervene with a person at risk of suicide
- List the types of resources available to a person at risk of suicide, including themselves
- Make a commitment to improving community resources and networking
- Recognize that suicide prevention is broader than suicide intervention and, includes life promotion and self-care for persons at risk and for caregivers
Participants can include but not limited to: parents and caregivers; natural helpers and advisors; educators and ministers; health practitioners; justice, law enforcers, emergency workers, and community volunteers.
Certificate and Accreditation
All participants who complete the course (14 hours of instruction time) will receive a certificate of participation.
ASIST is recognized by Canadian Accreditation Council Of Human Services (CACOHS) and the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). Participants who have current ASIST certificate can obtain 14 hours of Category A professional development credits. If you do not belong to ASWB, please check with your professional association to see if you qualify for credits.
The ASIST has materials available in large print, Braille and other language translations. Please contact the Centre for Suicide Prevention if you need specific accommodations.
Please visit the Centre for Suicide Prevention (CSP)’s website to register for this training