Albertans are facing widespread mental health challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), Alberta Division is dedicated to supporting Alberta’s communities and individuals as we move through the pandemic. Tim Neubauer, whose CMHA work focuses on community resilience and wellness, will host a 90-minute interactive webinar titled ‘5 Key Factors of Recovery — Essential Elements of Psycho-Social Care for Individuals and Communities following a Disaster.’ The webinar focuses on five essential elements of care for individuals and communities exposed to disaster and emergency situations and how building support systems around individuals, families and communities allows for recovery. The webinar utilizes research-based tools and strategies to inform action, program development and community interventions.
What are the Webinar Outcomes?
CMHA has identified the need amongst Albertans for clear pandemic-related mental health resources and tools. This webinar has been designed to address current stresses while providing examples and resources which help participants manage challenges and build resilience.
The webinar objectives include:
- Understanding the impact on our own mental health and wellness
- Ways we can support individuals, families and communities, both short and long term
Who should Attend?
The webinar may specifically appeal to:
- Organizations and their managers
- Frontline emergency responders
- Rural community leaders
- Students and University support staff
The webinar can be attended by any Albertan interested in learning how to move forward in their recovery journey when faced with a crisis or disaster situation.
What is Included in the Webinar?
- The webinar explores the mental health impacts of COVID-19 and introduces stress relief and stress management tools.
- The emotional phases experienced during disaster emergencies are explained and put into context with our present-day pandemic scenario. The phase breakdown allows participants to identify and understand their current position on the road to recovery.
- The five essential factors necessary to allow emotional recovery following a disaster are explained in-depth, with examples included for real-world application.
- The webinar looks at the importance of social support and meaningful connection in periods of disaster and social distancing
- The webinar host, Tim Neubauer, delivers science-supported strategies and hopeful conversation focused on emotional recovery and support.
Canadian Mental Health Association, Alberta Division
Workplace Training Department
320 Ledgeview Business Centre
9707 – 110 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5K 2L9