There are many ways for you to find optimal mental health. Just as there are different causes and symptoms, there are many ways for you to handle each mental illness. You may find that a combination of strategies is what helps the most.
Treatments can consist of:
- Medication: Physicians and psychiatrists assess an individual’s condition, and work with you to determine a diagnosis, prescribe medication and/or other treatments
- Psychotherapy and/or counselling: You can learn to effectively change your thinking, feelings, and behaviour through methods such as cognitive therapy
- Alternative methods can include nutritional, naturopathic counselling, physical exercise, yoga, meditation and exploring spirituality
- Community support services: CMHA and many other organizations offer services to help people manage life with a mental illness.
Areas of support include:
- Resources or referrals
- Daily living skills
- Support for individuals and their family members